Fire: Flash Fiction

Thud!
My back falls hard against the cold brick walls that line the alley. My legs tired from running and jumping. My arms held close to my chest stunting the flow of blood from the metal fragment that impaled me. The fire decimated the building I called home. The fire had decimated me. My face unrecognizable from the ash and black that covered it. How it happened? What had gone so wrong? Why her? Why did I have to lose her? My mind is darkened. My body struck by the pain that comes from trauma both physical and emotional.
I wake up in my bed in my house in upstate New York. My sweat is soaking into the silken sheets. The blankets are scattered across the carpet floor. My eyes full of tears. The memory is as vivid as it is distraught. I remember it fully. The alarm going off. The fire spreading through every apartment. My found love being crushed by the roof that fell. I feel the scare on my upper shoulder.  The scare is shaped like a crescent moon and has no signs of ever fading. The permanent reminder of the fire that snuffed out one of the peaks of my life. A reminder that will always be there even with all the anti-anxiety and antidepressants prescribed. I lay back down, and close my eyes. Waiting for the morning's sweet embrace to exult me of the fear of this night.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Free Post

Vocabulary Post

Dear 12 year old